Sunday, July 3, 2011

Genesis - Wind and Wuthering

Release Year: 1976

Track List:
1. Eleventh Earl of Mar (7:39)
2. One for the Vine (9:59)
3. Your Own Special Way (6:15)
4. Wot Gorilla? (3:12)
5. All in a Mouse's Night (6:35)
6. Blood on the Rooftops (5:20)
7. Unquiet Slumbers for the Sleepers… (2:23)
8. In That Quiet Earth (4:50)
9. Afterglow (4:10)

There was a time when I considered myself a Genesis fan. This was long ago, in the late 70s/early 80s, when progressive music was giving way to arena rock and hair metal. I wallowed in the ecstasy of Duke and drifted off to “Home By the Sea”, but as Genesis became more and more pop, I made a 180-degree turn. By the late 80s, they had lost the magic.

It didn't occur to me at the time to explore their earlier works... albums from Foxtrot up through Trick of the Tail. I had discovered Genesis with And Then They Were Three in the summer of 1978, and never gave a thought to who the fourth and fifth band members had been. Peter Gabriel became a huge solo artist and Steve Hackett a less famous one, but my mind was on the wonderful music Phil, Tony, and Mike were making... for awhile anyway.


In recent years, I have returned to my progressive rock roots and discovered it had not died in the 1980s after all. I have found a vast universe of music waiting to be explored, and I have had a wonderful journey so far. This genre of music has introduced me to many terrific new friends, some who have encouraged me to discover the REAL Genesis, and Wind & Wuthering was suggested as my starting point. I was also informed that this album is related, more or less, to the novel Wuthering Heights, which ironically happens to be my favorite novel of all time!

This version of Genesis contains Phil Collins, Steve Hackett, Mike Rutherford, and Tony Banks... four, not yet three. ;-)

So, decades after its original release, Wind and Wuthering finally arrived in my mailbox. After reading the lyrics in the booklet, I was a confused at first. It seems that all the songs are about war, not timeless love! Ah, but look closely and remember the novel it is based on... two souls locked in a passionate battle with each other, both with too much pride to admit their deepest affections until it's too late.

This appears to be Tony Banks' album. His beautiful keyboard work is all over every song, from soaring synthesizers to sweet piano, turning gruesome lyrics into haunting melodies, along with Phil's smooth voice and Steve's distinctive guitar.

This is a sensual, dramatic, passionate album, no doubt about it. “One for the Vine”, “All in A Mouse's Night”, and even “Wot Gorilla” show off Tony's amazing flexibility on the keys. However, Hackett's song, “Blood On the Rooftops”, is the clear winner here. Take away the ‘modern’ lyrics, and you find the song is incredibly sweet.
I especially love “Your Own Special Way”. Following the allusion to Wuthering Heights, the lyrics make me think of Heathcliff crying out to Cathy's ghost... "don't ever leave me!"

I see subtle connections to the novel everywhere, whether or not that was intentional by the band. It's my belief that the last song, “Afterglow”, represents Heathcliff the best. This line gives me chills... "But I, I would search everywhere just to hear your call, and walk upon stranger roads than this one. In a world I used to know before, I miss you more." While I admire “Blood On the Rooftops”, I think “Afterglow” is my favorite song on Wind and Wuthering. It's a good way to end the album.

Before “Afterglow”, though, there are two short instrumentals that will break your heart, even if you don't know the story... “Unquiet Slumbers for the Sleepers” and “In That Quiet Earth” (the second song not so quiet.. this is a very proggy tune!). These are references to our romantic couple that wander the ghostly Yorkshire moors, together at last, yet in death.

I don't know how many people experience this kind of love... the kind that burrows down deep into your soul and psyche, beyond obsession, and lasts beyond the grave, but somehow Genesis captured its essence and set it to music. Even if you are not empathetic or understanding to the passion of the story, you will at least understand the passion in the music.

I am enjoying exploring the earlier Genesis and finding a treasure trove of wonderful music. Wind and Wuthering is just the tip of a beautiful iceberg!

No comments:

Post a Comment