Sunday, July 3, 2011

Cryptic Vision - In A World

Release Year: 2006
Track List:
1. - In A World:
      I - Overture

      II - Creation
      III - The Source

      IV - All Is Well
2 - This Dream (Part One)
3 - Common Ground
4 - Merkaba
5 - All Along
6 - The Space In Between
7 - I Am the Energy
8 - Point of View
9 - Power to Mend:
     I - Infamous Moment
     II - Not Alone
     III - Darkness Fades
10 - Find
11 - The Balance
12 - This Dream (Part II)/In a World Reprise

When I first heard Cryptic Vision, I was impressed with a few of their songs on internet radio. I obtained their debut album, Moments of Clarity, and while I enjoyed it and thought it was a good album, it just didn't grab me with overwhelming excitement.

When Cryptic Vision was chosen to play at CalProg 2006, I dusted off Moments of Clarity and let it steadily sink in. When their second album, In A World, was released in June 2006, I ordered it immediately, but barely had time to listen to it before jetting off to CalProg. However, I could tell immediately that this CD was much more vibrant than their first.

I was more than surprised by their performance at CalProg. In fact, I was completely overwhelmed! While the band performed a couple tunes from Moments of Clarity, the bulk of their set was from In A World. They rocked the place so hard, I could barely stay in my seat!

The music struck me as being very powerful, full of soaring keyboards, crunchy guitars, and gutsy vocals. Add the deep, philosophical lyrics, and you have the bastard love child of Kansas and Styx! While Cryptic Vision does lean toward "art rock", they have the ability to carve their own niche and stake a claim in the vast genre of progressive music.

The delightful, skilled mastery of keybaordist Howard Helm makes all the difference. Cryptic Vision would not be a strong without his Midas touch. The opening strains of the title track on “In A World” combine the flair of Keith Emerson and Steve Walsh that will remind the listener of the song “Musicatto” by Kansas. Mr. Helm adds his own finesse to the entire album.

Another treat is the blow-you-away vocal talent of Todd Plant. His range is incredible! He can hit deep, soulful notes in the song “All Along”, and also soar into a glass-shattering tenor voice during “Point of View” and “The Balance”.

The real genius of Cryptic Vision, however, belongs to drummer Rick Duncan, founder and driving force of the band. Not only can he tear the skins to shreds, but he is also the main songwriter, as well.

In fact, it is the lyrics to this album that clench my soul more than the music. Uplifting, positive, and metaphysical, the words manage to bridge all the world's spiritual faiths into one common philosophy. I could likely write an entire review on the lyrics alone, delving into the deepest meaning of universal consciousness and creative energy. Someday, I'd love to discuss these views with Mr. Duncan. In the meantime, I can only thank him for combining these powerful, beautiful thoughts with such exciting, dramatic music. (To be fair, Mr. Plant and bassist Sam Conable also contributed lyrics to this project.)

My favorite songs are “Common Ground”, “I Am the Energy” and “Point of View”. Did I mention that David Ragsdale, currently back with Kansas, provides the violin tracks on this album? In A World is bursting with great talent!

So yes, I now call myself a "Visionary", and have caught the fever! Cryptic Vision has a fantastic future ahead of them, and I am excited to tag along for the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment