Monday, June 27, 2011

Mars Hollow

Release Year: 2010

Track List:
1 - Wait for Me (9:30)
2 - Midnight (5:05)
3 - Eureka (9:20)
4 - If I Were You (7:30)
5 - In Your Hands (6:34)
6 - Wild Animal (7:08)
7 - Dawn of Creation (12:22)

When a person I befriended on the Progressive Ears message board mentioned he had a band, I thought to myself "you and everybody else". There's a lot of budding Prog rockers out there, and to be honest, I didn't think Kerry Chicoine's band would be any different than the others I had heard on YouTube or MySpace. I was so wrong, dead wrong! There is something quickly and easily likeable about Mars Hollow. This hot, little band out of Los Angeles does not waste any time and gets straight to the punches!

The opening track instantly blows you away with its odd "marco polo" game between keys and guitars. After a few minutes of fun, the song launches into the mellow sweetness of John Baker's voice which sets the tone for the whole album. Compared by many to Geddy Lee and Dennis DeYoung, Baker's tenor sends chills with its passion and sincerity. He has the perfect voice for Prog. The words to “Wait for Me” reflect a bittersweet love song, which also sets the lyrical theme for the album. Next comes my personal favorite, the haunting and beautiful “Midnight”. While I identify with the loneliness of the lyrics, I am drawn to the guitar work, for which Baker does very well. There's a nice keyboard sound at the end, which adds to the melancholiness of the song, but somehow, I feel Baker's influence dominating this tune.

The third song on this amazing debut album is “Eureka”, and now we finally hear the great talent of keyboardist Steve Mauk shining through. This is totally his song! You can also clearly hear drummer Jerry Beller pounding away on this one. The lyrics are somewhat serious and introspective, moreso than the rest of the album, but I feel the music overshadows the lyrics here. Next comes “If I Were You”, which has become a fan favorite. Yes, this band has fans, and we love Mars Hollow! What makes the fourth track so popular is that it has the best of everything, music, lyrics, and just the overall vibe of the song. We can all relate to a bad relationship, after all.

After that comes a fun, poppy song called “In Your Hands”, sung by bassist Chicoine, and could easily be a radio hit if Mars Hollow were so lucky! This song also has the best of everything, music wise. The keys and guitars are in perfect sync here, along with Beller's powerful drumming, and it appears the whole band is doing backup vocals, which adds to some nice harmonies. What's not to like? “Wild Animal” is the sixth song on the album and is easily the most "sexiest" song, not that Mars Hollow is oozing with it, or maybe they are in a subtle way. Wild Animal just puts out that vibe, and it gets noticed by listeners! I especially love Baker's passionate and sly voice, which definitely sends a chill.

The final song is an epic that could easily rank amongst the great Prog epics, and I'm not just saying that to flatter the band. “Dawn of Creation” is truly a gem, and perhaps the most profound love song I have heard in years! The listener is easily caught up in the dramatic beginning keyboards which lead into soaring guitars. Then Baker launches into the main song with extremely clever word play in the lyrics. I believe that is what delights me the most... the words to “Dawn of Creation” make Walt Whitman look like a Hallmark poet! As for the music, this song could easily compete with anything Rush or ELP has done, and I am sincere with that statement!

Overall, this band has everything that works... tight musicianship, creative lyrics, and a vibe that pulls you in. You won't even have time to click your seatbelt... you are in for a great ride! I owe Kerry Chicoine an apology! Never doubt for one minute that the "boys next door" can pull off a terrific album and get invited to several music fests around the USA and Mexico. I see great things for this extremely talented band, and look forward to their future musical endeavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment